Serves 8 to 10 / Prep time: 45 mins / Cook time: 25 mins / Total time: 1hr 25mins
For the cake:
- 200g Butter/marg
- 200g caster sugar
- 150g flour
- 4 eggs
- 50g of cocoa powder
For the cookie dough buttercream icing:
- 225g butter, softened at room temperature
- 280g confectioner’s sugar
- 65g light brown sugar
- 85g flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- milk (about 2 tbs. to thin out, add more if needed)
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 2 9-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Beat the sugar and butter until fluffy and creamy.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the flour.
- Add 1 egg, beat, then add 1/4 of the flour and beat lightly. Repeat this until all the eggs and flour are used.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the two cake pans. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before frosting. This is a necessity – the icing will melt very easily!
For the cookie dough icing:
- Beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy and creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and flour and beat well until everything is combined. If the icing is too thick, add some milk, one tablespoon at a time to thin it out.
To assemble the cake:
- Remove the cake from the pans and carefully skim off the top of the cake with the knife until the top is level. Eat the scraps!
- Spoon half of the icing on top of the bottom cake layer and spread evenly. Add half of the chocolate chips on top (you can mix them into the mixture however this makes it harder to spread..
- Place the top layer of the cake on top of the filling and bottom layer. Using an icing spatula or a butter knife, ice the top of the cake. Again, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top! Tip: Get a bowl of hot water to dip your knife in as this stops the mixture from sticking to it, making it spread easier.
- Feel free to garnish the cake however you’d like.
You can really use whatever cake recipe you prefer to use for this cake. If you have a favorite chocolate cake recipe, go for it! Or if you would rather do a white cake, do it!!
This cake in immensely sweet – I would recommend maybe a different filling as the icing is quite overwhelming.